[AMC-List] By decade

In 2006, we're "into" cars, even if we're not into American motors cars.  Honda made almost $2 billion in the quarter last; Delphi's unions made no great effort to ensure the biggest GM supplier might last.  Toyota's market success rose; Ford's market share fell: each far beyond what old American motors had imagined.

In 2006, Renault owned forty-some percent of Nissan and Nissan's profit was up almost ten percent; in 1986, Renault owned forty-some percent of American Motors and AMC's profit was almost non-existent.  Nissan might make almost a billion more than it'd forecast; AMC might almost make it to when the next interest payment comes due on its "overwhelming" debt.

Few in America are "into" collectible Renaults and fewer may be "into" collectible Nissans; many more are still "into" and -into- AMC.  So go figure the unimaginable world of American motors and of collector cars.

Last week, I asked if American motors had Carma or Carisma.  If the one was good for American motors, was the other one bad for AMC, or were both of them preordained for success as coming Toyota model names?  A Camry for your thoughts; a penny (which, in days of $3 gasoline, won't buy rides) for your Camaro comparison, or a pence (which, in days of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, won't buy Birkhall or Balmoral) for your Camargue communiqué on American Motors' past.

To some, AMC was once-and-forever Ramblings by Nash; to others, AMC was Chevrolet without bow tie; to still others, AMC was only Nash, Hash, Rambler, and Gremlin-Pacer jokes, so American Motors always had Carma and almost had Carisma.  That's why I told you to start searching in the last quarter of American Motors history.  That's why I also told you to stop your AMC at the end of Feb.  That's why history is worthwhile.

On 2/1/76, AMC Carma was the cover of Chilton's Automotive Industries magazine.  AMC's new Carisma was the Pacer, America's most modern car design.  (Plus "Carisma" was Richard Teague's most beloved car name...)  On 2/6/66, AMC's new post of Vice-President was filled.  The styling studio would be filled with Carma, Carisma, and cars AMC never built.  And on 2/28/85, AMC Carma Carisma were forever changed as a one-eyed dreamer drove away and home to California.

Carma meant "It will always take an artist."

"You'll see the boxes disappear!" he said.

He was an "autoholic" to his last AMC day.

http://www.amcpacer.com/images/kenosha-28-teague.jpg