Re: [AMC-List] re wheel stud spins - front drum

Re: [AMC-List] re wheel stud spins - front drum

Thanks to Tom J and George Graham for your replies.

(First, I'm not reusing the off-center drums, but some different ones, I
must have mistyped.)

Second, you've confirmed the sinking suspicions I developed while looking
closely at everything last night.    I think the factory swedging is what
allowed them initially to use smooth wheel studs, the swedge punch holding
the drum on and keeping the stud from turning.  The first replacement would
be knurled, which will cut slots in the hub holes. I think I will source
some new knurled studs and let the drums live unswedged.  I have some other
used hubs that have the studs welded on the back to keep them from turning
and the welds pop right off due, I beleive, to someone trying to weld
dissimilar metals, so I want to avoid that, despite having the new welder. .
.
I'm learning a lot this week.
Thanks
Mike