[AMC-List] E - 85 'The Cool Fuel'

E85 may have a performance advantage in forced induction engines.
Ethanol has ~ 2.6 times the latent heat of vaporization (Btu/gallon),
and
the heating value of ethanol is only ~.6 of the heating value of
gasolene
(Btu/gallon).  This means you could expect the intake air to be
significantly cooler when using E85; possibly cool enough to
eliminate the
need for an intercooler.  Westech Performance Group measured a
temperature
drop of ~100 degrees from the carburetor enclosure to the manifold,
this
temperature drop was with gasolene, and E85 should cool it further.

There is a problem comparing prices however; (I think Tom Jennings
said
it) 'we buy fuel in gallons but use it in Btu/mile'.  Because E85 has
less
Btu/gallon it has to cost less per gallon to cost the same per mile.

Peter Marano
Kenosha WI

++

Guess I won't need those Aluminum Heads
when the Turbos go on.

You can bet this advantage won't be lost on
the Automotive manufacturers.

FYI > :  E-85 in Venezuela is $0.17 per gal.

        =Bt=
  milnersXcoupe