From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] nice drive to SF from LA...
To: amc-list <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

No big deal, but I drove up to San Francisco, from Los Angeles
this past
weekend, for the Maker's Faire (http://www.makezine.com/faire/)
in the
'70 Hornet. 70-75mph the whole way, ran great, grilled a lot of
bugs.
(Actual insects, not problems.)

My starter is crapping out; it's a "premium" rebuild from NAPA.
I guess
the word premium means crap, because that's what it is; it gets
tighter
when hot, and it always sounds tight. This was premium #2, as #1
had one
of those crap stripped-stud-fixing things on it, that came off
in the
box! (Rather than actually replace the stripped stud on the
core, they
wrench on a "repair stud" on it; so much for quality.). Even the
NAPA
counter guy was embarrassed, and got me the replacement, no
questions
asked.

I'm gonna take the one from the parts car to the local rebuilder
-- who
I can at least hold responsible for his work! -- install that,
and
repeat with the current one so I have two good starters, one for
mine
and the other for Josh's 72 Hornet, which I hope to complete
this
weekend.

Picked up the torque converter today on the way to work, so I
have run
out of excuses for reassembling that car.