Re: [AMC-List] Carburator solemoid

SLY
SNIP
Hi All,
I just got my solenoid to start working on the Pacer.  I'ts a 77 w/a 258
w/BBD.  I thought the solenoid was for kicking up the idle when the A/C
compressor kicks in.  I thought it was supposed to shut off when the A/c
was off.  Mine is on all the time now.
SNIP

Initially when they started installing the solenoids they were used to
increase idle speed. The electrical type of solenoid anyway. They were
hooked up to a switched 12vdc controlled by the ignition switch. Please
note, this may very by year as they reconfigured the smog configuration
of the car. If you tried to control the idle speed using the idle
adjustment control on the carburetor there was the strong possibility
that the engine would diesel when the ignition was turned off. Thus the
carburetor idle speed adjustment was then adjusted so that when the
solenoid was not operational the butter fly in the carburetor would be
fully closed. When you start the car the choke would hold the butter fly
open a bit according to the choke criteria adjustments and when it timed
out then the electrical solenoid would be energized by virtue of having
the ignition on and you would adjust the idle speed the car ran at by
adjusting the plunger on the solenoid. Usually by screwing it in and
out. When you stopped the engine the solenoid would de-energize by
virtue of turning the ignition off thus causing the butter fly to close
completely thus preventing dieseling of the engine.
SNIP

SNIP
I had my idle set nice and low (where I think it is supposed to be), but
when my A/c kicks in, it struggles to run.
SNIP

When A/C was used on the car idling became more of a problem due to the
increased load on the engine complicated by decreased vacuum caused by
the smog configuration and any leaks and misconnections there in. Later
on the solenoid became a two part deal with vacuum controlling the
non-A/C idle speed and the electrical part controlling the A/C idle
speed. Those get to be a lot of fun to try to get them to run right when
there are vacuum leaks and miss-connections.
I happen to like a dead slow idle and can get my much modified 390 to
sit there and lumpity lump away on random 5 cylinders at 450 rpm. This
is not specification.
My adjusting my 1980 Spirit with a mildly modified engine 258 with A/C
was a whole different ball game. You set it up by the numbers as the
factory specified it to be.
Or it did not run!
If there were vacuum leaks it
It would not run!
If there were lines connected incorrectly
It would not run!
If smog parts were defective
It would not run!
The BBD 2bbl Carburetor had little or nothing to do with the fact that
It would not run.
In my personal experience I have probably worked on about 2-3 dozen AMC
I-6 configurations from 1975 to 1986 and I have yet to see vacuum lines
configured correctly when they are driven dragged or towed into my
driveway and
They did not run!
I sort of solved the vacuum problems by installing fuel injection.
Surprise! That is an expensive way to fix it with its own unique
problems.
When vacuum line problems are correctly resolved, they run just fine
thank you and I have now a very large file of how they should be
configured in order to get them correct.
John.