[AMC-List] Eighty Years Ago

  Finally!  I have escaped the spam caves of Yahoo,
and have figured out how to receive the AMC-List once
more. Thank you, Frank.

  John, I'm not sure if you mean today's date (April),
or if you are talking about May.

  In May of 1926, Nash Motors dropped the Ajax brand
and renamed the car the Nash Light Six. The dismal
sales figures of the car immediately turned around,
and it became a best seller.  Nash dealers sent out
badges etc. to convert the remaining Ajaxes to Nashes.

  But as we all know, May day is sacred to American
Motors Fanatics for one primary reason, as that is the
genesis date of our beloved Corporation.

  Only 52 years since the May 1st birth of our
controversial, lovable underdog, and nearly 20 years
since it passed. In that short span, it seems as if
information about the Corporation and Its cars has
become one "Amalgamated Mass of Contradictions". At
least that's what I hear.  But there are things that
can be done about this intolerable drought of useful
info.

   I have decided to honor this anniversary in a
similar manner to which I did with the Gremlin.  In
cooperation with

] AMCyclopedia.org [

 and

] The Old Car Manual Project [,

 Route 66 Rambler will be providing online scans of
the well-known but seldom-seen -1969 American Motors
Family Album-.  This is a very important document, as
it represents American Motors' own official history of
Itself from 1897 until 1969, during the Corporation's
most controversial period.
  Any study of American Motors Corporation should
seriously consider this tome as a baseline for further
study. It is also important for two reasons:
 1) What this book tells you about American Motors.
 2) What this book does NOT tell you about AMC.
  Sources within the American Muscle Conspiracy have
located this ancient and mysterious book of knowledge,
and smuggled it out to the Museum project. There, the
highly-trained technicians of the Route 66 Rambler
Open Library Project proceeded to ruthlessly sacrifice
this voluptuous and priceless document to the scanning
apparatus.
  After 12:00 A.M. on the morning of May 1st, or
Merger Day, The Old Car Manual Project will have the
book available for viewing.  These scans are about 1.4
MB each, and were scanned at 300 dpi, yielding around
3200 pixels wide.

The Old Car Manual Project:
   http://www.tocmp.com

 For those with a 56K connection or who just don't
want to wait that long, the AMCyclopedia will have
medium-resolution scans taken at 300 dpi and reduced
to about 1200 pixels wide. These scans are sized at
around 100 KB each and take around 30 seconds to load.

The AMCyclopedia:
  http://www.amcyclopedia.org

  Some people who have seen these scans say the yellow
appearance of the pages bothers their eyes. I am
posting various informational documents in galleries
on a photo album site called PhotoBucket. I will
provide a link to the Family Album and a few other
documents from the Gremlin Page at:

  http://www.geocities.com/route66rambler

This collection of scans is "Digitally Re-mastered",
or scanned at 300 dpi in Greyscale, then enhanced to
provide more readability and some of the original feel
of the document. The grey tones are easier on the eyes
for some people. These scans are also 100K in
size(1200 pixels wide).
  I will post a link to the PhotoBucket collection as
soon as I have a few things ready there.  The Gremlin
Page will be transformed into the Route 66 Rambler
Report, which will have a similar format, but will be
more general-interest AMC, as well as providing
virtual museum functions like galleries of cars and
ads, and documents for historical and technical
studies. The Gremlin Page will become a secondary page
to the main Report.
  I will be opening a second free site to make access
to the information I will be providing easier.  Most
likely it will just be a backup to the other pages in
case I need it, as well as providing some basis for
e-mail etc. that is not related to FREAKING YAHOO!
  At the moment I am reduced to guerilla warfare
tactics until I can pile up enough change to launch a
proper website.
  I would encourage AMC'ers everywhere to honor the
birth of American Motors by contributing information
to the online community. Anyone who has owner's or
technical manuals, or good scans of them, should
donate a copy of the material to The AMCyclopedia, or
The Old Car Manual Project, or post it online
yourself. Some of the larger sites like Planet
Houston, Arctic Boy or JavelinAMX.com might be able to
take something like that and display it. If any of you
website operators would like copies of either of the
100k sets, e-mail me at:

  route66rambler@xxxxxxxxx

 They are available as zip files of 15 pages each.
Sorry, but I don't have the time or connection speed
to send these out to individuals.
  Happy Merger Day
mike