From: amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxx [mailto:amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Jennings
Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2006 9:37 PM
To: amc-list
Subject: [AMC-List] speling

Here's my 14.7 cents:

I am one of those people inflicted with seeing the almost unbelievable
number of misspellings and gross syntax errors in commercial text,
novels, signs, etc. It's useful when writing, but often distracting. I
didn't learn this in skool as a stoont, as I went to a series of crappy
public schools. No collidge deegree.

My father, a very smart guy, autos, electronics, radar, hydraulics,
software, you name it, built his house from scratch, and can't spell for
crap. He went to better schools than me, and two years of college. He's
very very good at solving problems visually.

Spelling has nothing to do with brain power, paying attention, or
schooling. Stupid people can spell well, and smart ones badly.

Doc said that his spell checker said grill was correct -- and people
over-looked that he CARED ENOUGH TO USE A SPELL CHECKER for his AMC
posts! Sheesh!

I wonder if I was born Chinese, say, would I find errors in that
language; and maybe my father would have been a linguist.

You can grill a grille with propane, or briquettes, and it would still
taste bad. English is a stupid, barbarian (literally), arbitrary, hard
to manage language.

(ANy misspellings in this text are either intentional, malicious, or
just plain lazy.)