Re: [AMC-List] Front Springs...

Why go with stiffer springs for a driver? The early to mid sixties cars are sprung really soft compared to more modern cars. You can drive it fine with the stock springs, I still have the stock springs in the front of my 63 Classic. The 4.0L and AW4 combo is just a bit lighter than the 196 and M-35, believe it or not -- by 50-60 pounds. But in hard turns and at higher cruising speeds (over 55) it could still benefit from a bit more stability that comes with slightly stiffer springs. The high mounted springs are a lot more roll resistant than low mounted springs, so 10-15% stiffer also increases roll resistance. In most cases you'll notice more roll resistance from that 10-15% stiffer spring than from a sway bar. I did with my 63 American. The sway bar really doesn't help much except in the hardest of turns. I plan on installing springs that are 10-15% stiffer and about an inch lower. The front sits at least 1/2" higher than it did with the 196/M-35!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent