Re: [AMC-List] American rear ends

It was not an uncommon option here in the land of snow and ice.
I have 3:31 twingrip [AMC's Name] in my 69 and sold a unit from a 3;08 gear axle a while back. It's a non rebuildable cone type unit. They work good as long as you take care not to burn them up. A common problem was people putting missmatched rear tires on. The constant slippage wears the cones down and it stops working. The unit in my Car has about 110,000 miles on it IIRC and still works good.
 Another quick way to ruin one is to get it hung up, get one wheel spinning, just let it sit there and spin the cones in the posi. These are not "locker" type units and won't take that kind of abuse. They don't ever seem to break, they just stop working.
  Easiest way to search for one is to look for the sticker in the trunk or the shiny metal tag on the fill plug.
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net