[AMC-List] Here's a Tip

I put my 77 gremlin (258/auto) back together with the
rusty looking tranny cooling lines.  I had never had a
tranny line leak before so I didn't really look
closely at the lines.

Wouldn't you know that as soon as I started the 258 I
noticed that one line has rust holes and was leaking.
I could have covered the rusty area with a piece of
hose, I suppose, but I intend to make this car a
dependable driver and I can't abide a scab patch.  So
after letting the car sit, and dreading the job for
several weeks I spent nearly the whole afternoon
trying to remove the lines and replace them with clean
used replacements.  The job did no disappoint me.
It's a pain. These things were not designed to be
removed easily with the engine and tranny in the car.

I had to drop the tranny mount, undo linkage, drop the
starter and raise the engine about one inch to get the
lines to clear.

So my tip is:  Make sure you look over used parts
really well before assuming they are OK.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA