Re: [AMC-List] Starter alignment

You probably need to shim the starter out from the housing a bit.
Starter shims are available at any automotive parts shop. Some are
designed to be installed without removing the starter, just loosing the
nuts, and sliding them in place. This is quite common. Just don't put
too many in, or you risk the opposite problem of the starter drive not
full engaging, and damaging ring gear teeth.  Steve Johnston.

On November 17, 2006.  Michael Pell wrote:

> '61 AMC Ramber wagon with the alum block 6 cyl (OH valves).
>
> I had the starter rebuilt so it's working perfect now.  However,
it's
> pretty noisy as it engages and turns the flywheel, and doesn't let
go
> soon enough when the engine starts (more noise).
> FWIW, of the 2 bolts holding the starter in place, the top one is a
> special "shouldered" bolt, 3/8" threads, with a larger "shoulder".
The
> lower bolt is a plain old 3/8" bolt.
>
> Is there any way to adjust this starter so it will mesh better?
> Do I need a similar bolt on the bottom?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike
>
> --
>   I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find
out there isn't, Than live my
>   life as if there isn't, And die to find out there is. -Blaise
Pascal

>   Check out my webpage at http://www.ProStreetCar.com
>   TREMEC Distributor at http://www.5speedTransmissions.com
>   Team Chevelle member #1778 (Gold),  ACES member #1377
>   Hoosier State Chevelle Assoc (http://www.IndianaChevelles.com) #6
>

> Mark Price wrote:
>
> >Anyone need anything from RockAuto?
> >Here's a way to save a buck or two!
> >--
> >Mark Price
> >markprice242ATadelphia.net
> >Morgantown, WV
> >

> >>To: markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>From: RockAuto Customer Service <service@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >>Subject: Discount on RockAuto Parts!
> >>Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 02:04:34 -0600
> >>
> >>Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer! To show our
appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

> >>Your discount code is:
> >>
> >>  534464488823
> >>
> >>Here's how to use it:
> >>
> >>  * In our Java Catalog, enter your code in the "How did you hear
about us" line of the shopping cart.
> >>  * In our non-Java Catalog, enter your code in the "Discount Code"
field of the Shopping Cart and click "Calculate Discount."

> >>**NOTE: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word
"discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount.  Please
enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.**

> >>The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices, and there's no
limit on order size or the number of orders.  Use the code for your
next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the
guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

> >>This discount code expires on January 9, 2007; so don't wait!
> >>

> >>REMEMBER THE WIKI!
> >>
> >>I hope you are happy with the parts you purchased and that your car
or truck is once again performing as it should.  Please use the
RockAuto wiki to share your experience with others.

> >>When I finish a repair on my car, I know what tools to use, what
other parts have to be removed to get to the one I'm replacing, what
fluids will splash me if I'm not careful, and other useful facts I wish
I'd known when I started.  I also can recognize the symptoms more
quickly if the problem happens again.

> >>Recording this knowledge in the wiki (wiki.rockauto.com) helps
others who need to fix the same problem.  It may even help you if, like
me, you sometimes find yourself replacing the same part years later and
struggling to remember how you did it the first time!

> >>The easiest way to find the relevant wiki page(s) is to open the
RockAuto catalog, look up the part you purchased and click the "Advice"
link.

> >>Thanks again for buying your auto parts at RockAuto!
> >>
> >>Tom Taylor
> >>VP Marketing
> >>www.rockauto.com
> >>service@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>1-866-ROCKAUTO (1-866-762-5288)
> >>(608) 661-1376
> >>

> >>If you no longer want to receive discounts or any other mail from
RockAuto, click on the link below: