Re: [AMC-List] trans for 232 six

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, L. D. Lyons wrote:

> Iam putting a 72 232 in my 64 american and have decided to use transmission from 72 or later. My repair manual says that the 727, 904 & 998 were Automatics that will work with the 232 six. Which would be the best for my 64. I realize that I will need to change the yoke on the drive shaft and other stuff. Are these trans fluid or air cooled

727 too heavy, too much power loss rotating it. Everyone will
say 998 is better, but for a stock 232? No advantage, harder
to find (slightly). 904's are cheap and common and very good!

If you get to pick, choose a later lockup converter model (78
up?) Drop-in identical to earlier models, no external changes,
but you'll get slightly better highway mileage.

Put an aftermarket cooler on it and it'll last a loooong time,
and it's repairable anywhere in the US. Popular transmission.