Re: [AMC-List] trans for 232 six

" From: "L. D. Lyons" <ldlyons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I am putting a 72 232 in my 64 american and have decided to use
" transmission from 72 or later. My repair manual says that the 727,
" 904 & 998 were Automatics that will work with the 232 six. Which
" would be the best for my 64.

the 904 is the lightest duty and ordinarily used with sixes, and would
be fine in your american unless you contemplate some kind of severe
duty.  the 727 is very strong but takes almost twice the hp just to
spin [45 vs. 25 hp at higher rpms].

" I realize that I will need to change the yoke on the drive shaft and
" other stuff. Are these trans fluid or air cooled

none are air cooled.