[AMC-List] Eagle front hub-Possible interchange?

[AMC-List] Eagle front hub-Possible interchange?

Hi, all, you're such a good bunch I just gotta wish you all a politically
correct SEASON"S GREETINGS!

Coming out of stealth mode to pose a question.

I recently replaced a front hub for the obvious reason. It was a hub from a
Pull-a-part Eagle, so I had no idea it was going to be different than what I
would eventually change out. I had lined up bearings and seals to rebuild
the old ones, and was confused that there was no listing for the INNER seal
on the carrier, NOT the knuckle seal. TSM did not show a seal there, either.
Once removed and side by side, all important dimensions were there, and it
DOES fit and run fine. However, the differences of note are: Original has an
O-ring on the inner side to knuckle, and NO inner carrier seal, and bearing
flush with carrier. Replacement has NO O-ring, and the inner face of the
carrier is deep enough for, and has a seal that sits flush to the carrier.
It even seals properly on the spacer. This renders the knuckle seal kind of
redundant except to act as a dust seal, or extra seal. Seems that seal gets
worn and lets in junk and moisture which probably is what killed my hub.

Question, then is this a Jeep hub, or an aftermarket improvement or even a
factory replacement? On-line catalogues don't cross over, but the inner seal
is a Jeep feature, and the taper inside down to the seal appears identical
to on-line pics. PLUS, the outer seal is the same for Jeep and Eagle.
Otherwise, nobody seems to list a hub assembly for the Eagle.

Sure would like to hear there is a ready hub replacement, since the added
seal would be a bonus.

Anybody tried this? I never had to replace a Jeep hub yet, and have over
250,000 km on my 85, and 506,000 on my 87, in fact no bearings or new grease
on them, ever, so I have never looked at one in my hand. Luck, or what?

If nobody knows for sure, I may eventually compare, as I think I have one
going out now on the 87 Wagoneer.

Glenn Ford in Warburg Alberta.

'85 and '87 Wagoneer Limiteds (XJ), 2-'87 Eaglewagons ( 1-auto, 1-Limited
T-5)