Re: [AMC-List] Continuing Saga of Doc the Jeep, Part II.5

Re: [AMC-List] Continuing Saga of Doc the Jeep, Part II.5

Just to do a brief update, rather than re-posting what I posted over at
CJOffroad.com and CJ-8.com... the phrase for this week is, "or it will
die." :D
Got the front end taken down on Monday night, and checked the timing
gears- sure enough, set to the advanced keyway. I set it back to 0*,
and called it a night. Wednesday night I got everything tightened back
up and put back together, and reset the timing and carb- timing is at
12* BTDC, BBD idle mix screws are 2.5 turns out each. Took it for a run
and there's still a very faint knock at heavy throttle, but for
everyday driving, it's fine.
The NEW problem is that it won't idle when cold. Give it a kick in the
morning and it starts with a healthy roar, idles for a second or two,
then dies as though I've turned the key off. Kick it again, and it
fires up and dies just the same, and it will do that as many times as I
like. LOL!
To make it idle, I have to feather the throttle, which causes it to
stumble and cough, but then I have to hold the pedal to keep it going.
Also, if I let the clutch out, it will stall almost straight away
unless I give it a LOT of gas and rev it way up. I can't take my foot
off the gas, or it will die.
The first few stops I make, I have to feather the throttle and clutch
VERY carefully, or it will die. It idles okay once it's warmed up, and
I can modulate the clutch like normal once I'm 5-10 minutes into my
drive, but otherwise it acts like it doesn't have any power behind it.
Accelerates just fine, cruises just fine.
Just off-idle (around 1-1.5k RPM), there's a flat spot where it want to
die- it shudders and sighs, and there's the sound of sucking air thru
the intake. I don't know if it's too rich, which means I should back
off the accelerator pump setting, or if it's too lean, and I need to
somehow feed it more gas off-idle.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Nick