Re: [AMC-List] Fuel Injecting the big dogs

Re: [AMC-List] Fuel Injecting the big dogs

I haven't seen one -- I don't think it's in stores yet, but check this
out:
http://www.retrotekspeed.com/

It's a TBI type unit with four injectors (one per barrel). The injectors
are hidden under false "float bowl" covers. Looks and fits exactly like
a 4V carb -- same height and uses standard 4V air cleaner assemblies.
The fuel feed even looks like a standard 4V setup! Only one fuel line
(no return). Pressure is controlled by the computer "pulse modulating"
the electric pump -- varying voltage to maintain pressure.

The easy part is the computer setup! You use a PC to input the basic
info. That should be enough to get the car running. Then just drive it!
The PCM is a "learn on the go" type. It will adjust itself to your
engine and driving as long as the initial inputs are close. Naturally
any computer only has a certain range of adjustment, but it starts with
your inputs. No chips to burn or setting to play with! Want to try
another cam? Connect back to the PC and make the changes, swap cams,
then drive a bit!

THIS is what the aftermarket has really been needing! It's easier than
bolting on a carb! You do have to get the size you need (750 or 1000),
but a slightly bigger one shouldn't hurt on an EFI system. Since it's a
"wet manifold" you do need to maintain velocity, so this is limited to
350 and larger engines. If these sell well maybe they can be convinced
to make some smaller ones. A 600-650 would be nice, so would a 400-450
for sixes. I doubt there would be many applications for over 1000 cfm --
a pair of 600-650s or even 750s would supply that though!