Re: [AMC-List] seat belt color

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM wrote:

> Julianos might be able to sew in the old buckles on new belts -- I've
> heard of someone having that done, but don't recall where. Juliano's
> does have the chrome "lift latch" type used in 60s Ramblers though.

There's nothing magical about the sewing -- there's massive
redundancy in the web and stiches, if the right heavy nylon
thread is used it will be as strong as original. Yes, I would --
and do -- trust my life on re-sewed belts.

I re-did the Hornet front belts; the rears are original. (They
stay wound in their retractors and got no sun-rot.)

My Rambler now, they're still the original belts, and man,
they look it.  I admit it's dumb, they're all frayed, soft and
fuzzy. In that car I will just find junkyard replacements since
it's a robust driver and not a show-er.