Re: [AMC-List] Hardened valve seats no longer available?

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM wrote:

> Justin, that the hardened seats are no longer available should tell you
> something -- they aren't really required!

Yeah -- one of the big car mags some years ago did testing of
leaded vs. unleaded gas and valve wear, and found no more than 5%
increased wear on old "leaded" cars being run on unleaded gas.

Some people with a lot of emotional investment in it, or products
to sell, still propagate the valve-wear thing. But notice that
there's not been a huge run on premature valve jobs in the last
few decades...

It looks like lead probably wasn't really needed after all,
maybe ever. The whole world's been wrong before -- left-hand
lugnuts and all that rot. Could it be that the oil co's wanted
to productize and sell needless toxic additives? MTBE anyone...?