Re: [AMC-List] Hardened valve seats no longer available?

Re: [AMC-List] Hardened valve seats no longer available?

Justin, that the hardened seats are no longer available should tell you
something -- they aren't really required! I ran a 196 for years with no
seats. You have to really hammer on an engine to cause any appreciable
wear in the valve seats before the rest of the engine is worn out. You
might have to have a valve job in 80K miles vs. 100K miles with the hard
seats (or leaded fuel). Most older model heads are good for at least two
valve regrinds before the seats are recessed to much. I never recommend
the seats unless the valve seats are recessed (which would be due to
normal wear/high mileage). Then it's generally cheaper to get another
head. Of course that's not so easy with the 196! I'm sure standard
replaceable seats should still be available if not hardened.