Re: [AMC-List] Hardened valve seats no longer available?

Re: [AMC-List] Hardened valve seats no longer available?

Justin

Snip
I am rebuilding a head for a cast iron 196 OHV engine, and one of the
big AMC
parts vendors recently emailed me that hardened valve seats are no
longer being
manufactured.  He said: "The last company to make those closed last year
and
with them the stock was disposed of."
Snip

It has been my understanding for many years that AMC induction hardened
their heads and for the most part had no need to install hardened valve
seats when rebuilt. This applies to pre-non-leaded gasoline days. I do
not know if this really goes back many years before but on the other
hand I don't really care as I have many happy miles on AMC engine I have
rebuilt with out worrying about it and so do many people that I know. In
fact I have never heard of any one having a problem supposedly related
to problems associated with non-leaded fuel, but I have heard of
installed hardened valve seats dropping out and causing pistons to
shatter thus destroying engines.

For what it is worth, I would not worry about it or even give it a
second thought.
John.