Re: [AMC-List] Hardened valve seats no longer available?

Re: [AMC-List] Hardened valve seats no longer available?

" From: Justin Shelton <hydeparker@xxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" I am rebuilding a head for a cast iron 196 OHV engine, and one of the
" big AMC parts vendors recently emailed me that hardened valve seats
" are no longer being manufactured.  He said: "The last company to make
" those closed last year and with them the stock was disposed of."
"
" Has anyone else heard this?
"
" If any of you have valve seats you are willing to sell, please give
" me a holler.

tried egge machine co?  www.egge.com iirc.

when i had my 199 rebuilt i was told the exhaust wouldn't get hot
enough to need hardened seats unless i hammered it, towed, or
hillclimbed.  that was 50000 miles ago and no problems yet.