Re: [AMC-List] trans for 232 six

" From: "Jim Blair" <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" A: I would opt for a 998/999 (all are water cooled) due to the heavier rear
" band (the case of the 904 was remade to accommodate it) which was the second
" weakest point of the 9xx series trans. The other weak spot is the neck of
" the torque converter and the rear sprague tearing loose was another. (the
" 999 case I have from an '00 Wrangler 4.0L has a bolt in rear sprague)

nb. for an older-car swap, avoid the 32re, electronic version of the
999/32rh.  i don't know what year they switched - '96 [obdII]?

otoh if you were doing a complete drivetrain swap, 4.0 + 32re from a
wrangler, you'd also be taking the ecm which controls the trans.

doesn't the 999 have a stronger pump than the 998?  i thought that was
the major difference.