Re: [AMC-List] trans for 232 six

A: I would opt for a 998/999 (all are water cooled) due to the heavier rear
band (the case of the 904 was remade to accommodate it) which was the second
weakest point of the 9xx series trans. The other weak spot is the neck of
the torque converter and the rear sprague tearing loose was another. (the
999 case I have from an '00 Wrangler 4.0L has a bolt in rear sprague)
   Another option is a 2wd AW4 with all the accessories (flexplate and
starter. Check the size of the pilot hole to be sure) then you can graft on
a 4.0L head later with the EFI. (Just make sure you use the EFI the
flexplate was made for. '87 to '90 with an EGR valve on the engine is Renix.
09/90 and later are HO)

From: "L. D. Lyons" <ldlyons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] trans for 232 six
To: <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Iam putting a 72 232 in my 64 american and have decided to use
transmission from 72 or later. My repair manual says that the
727, 904 & 998 were Automatics that will work with the 232 six.
Which would be the best for my 64. I realize that I will need to
change the yoke on the drive shaft and other stuff. Are these
trans fluid or air cooled
Butch Lyons