Re: [AMC-List] AMC six ignition timing -- got it!

Re: [AMC-List] AMC six ignition timing -- got it!

Tom Jennings wrote:
Now I have to really figure out coolant temps. I have
a Mr. Gasket 195 degree thermostat in there. I thought "195
degree" means it begins to open at 195. Or is it fully open
at 195? I'm confused -- in cool air, flat and level, 60 mph,
sealevel, the coolant temp settles to a steady 172F. If I let
it idle, with the fan thermostat set to 200F, it cycles 195,
205, 195, 205, ... with the fan.

I have a Mr. Gasket 180 degree, I may put that in, but I don't
want the steady-state temp to drop to 160 or whatever!
------------------

I don't think the steady state temp will drop if you use a 180
thermostat, but it could. Try turning the fan on a little sooner. That's
what I do -- fan comes on about the same time the thermostat starts to
open, or just before. Non-adjustable fan switches aren't always accurate
-- a lot depends on where the pickup is mounted too, adjustable or not.
Mine's right behind and against the radiator on the left side near the
outlet. In the summer I usually adjust to come on a little sooner, later
in cold weather (like here in Dover, never needed to in MS!).

You might try a one or two heat range cooler plug too. That has helped a
lot of the stroker guys.