Re: [Amc-list] AMC INK

Frank,
  No, I did not say he singled out the Spirit/AMX. I made it clear that
he picked 5 cars and that included the Spirit/AMX. The reason I mentioned
the Spirit/AMX is because this is an AMC list!!!
  And you said >True, but it was a vote -- meaning not only his opinion
-- and it was ONE OF FIVE>  Hey, there was no vote to pick the five cars
to vote on, it was Statham who picked the five cars and had the mean
things to say about the Spirit/AMX.

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:52:08 -0600 "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"
<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Yes you did -- sorry for shouting! ;>
> I'm like you -- I'd call the AMX both a sports and muscle car. Back
> then
> the definition for a true sports car also had to be a convertible
> or
> roadster (the difference between those two -- a convertible has a
> permanently attached folding top, a roadster has a removable
> folding
> and/or hard top). So maybe it was technically a sports coupe. Only
> Americans would call a Camaro or Mustang a sports car -- the things
> have
> back seats!!! ;> Sporty cars, yes, and maybe a European would let
> you
> get by with calling one a sports coupe. Typically in Europe a
> "sports
> coupe" was called a 2+2 in the 60s -- like the Jag XKE with a back
> seat
> and even some of the big Jensens.
>
> Unlike the Ford/AC Cobra, the AMX would have handled about the same
> no
> matter the size of the engine. The Cobras handled much better with
> the
> SBF, the BBF cars were more of a dragster. I read a road course
> test
> between the two versions of Cobra and they ended up finishing about
> the
> same. The SB version took the curves faster, but the BB version won
> out
> on the straights and powered out of tight turns better (had to
> brake
> like he-- going into them though!). The testing team (Car and
> Driver, or
> Road and Track...) started one car in front of the other then
> switched.
> Neither could pass the other once started in that position!
>
> Most consider "mid size" and pony cars w/bb engines a muscle car,
> or
> engines in the 390+ range in cases where only one block serves all.
> don't consider a 350 a muscle car, but then I remember the "real"
> muscle
> cars! For 1977 or so and later I suppose 350 can be considered
> muscle...
>
> -------------
> Date: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 10:54 AM
> From: Jock J Jocewicz <namdra@xxxxxxxx>
>
> Frank,
>   I never said Statham singled out the AMX. I did say it was one of
> the
> five cars to be voted on. And as far as the original AMX, wasn't it
> sports car, not a muscle car? Or was it both? An AMX with the 290
> surely
> couldn't be called a muscle car!

Jock Jocewicz - President/Editor NAMDRA     NAMDRA@xxxxxxxx
8537 Antioch Rd., Salem, WI 53168 (262) 843-4326
          JOIN NAMDRA, the best AMC club around!!
'07 AMC NATIONALS - Sep. 6-8, 2007 - Cordova Dragway Park, Cordova, IL
AMO#19, NAMDRA#46, AMCRC#974,  NHRA#41915, IHRA#6766