Re: [Amc-list] '65 American 330 - Front drums 9x2?

Re: [Amc-list] '65 American 330 - Front drums 9x2?

Okay - I did a quick measure to be sure. TSM and guide says 9x2. It
currently is wearing 9x2.5 - so they'll work! (Darn, I shoulda ordered
them when I was at the shop!)

My car was making scraping sounds from the front left. I wasn't real
sure about that drum. On taking it off yesterday, I noticed metal
inside it - almost like when you use a surface grinder on metal. Not
shaving, more like a dust. Well, the drum had a few bolt holes that
were bent in a bit (over-tightening cheap metal?). The outside edge of
the brake shoe had all the paint (or coating) worn off, and was shiny,
well-polished metal. It wasn't to the pad - but had hit the side of
the shoe. The front shoe was fine, the rear shoe shows some
"polishing" on the edge.

I'm thinking the old drum is off - maybe because of the messed up bolt
holes, and was grinding against the outside of the brake shoe. You
know where the inside of the drum has a lip? That is where it was
grinding - the outside of the brake shoe against the lip on the
furthest inside of the drum (not the braking surface).

Anyway - new drums. Napa quoted 78 bucks from the warehouse. One pair
left at the local warehouse. I better get two drums, rather than just
replace one. Man, this is starting to add up! I might call around to
see if there is better pricing.