Re: [Amc-list] 1964 verus 1966

I'm going to assume you have the 195.6 engine in the 64 and the 232 in the 66.
Since you have both complete cars this will not be a problem.
I would move the driveline from the 66 to the 64.
Engine, trans, rearend, everything.
You need to swap crossmembers too.
It will be some work, but IMHO you will end up with a more "modern" car with more power and easeir to get parts for!
All, win-win.

I honestly do not know if you can swap interiors across those years? Anyone know for sure?
I'd start with a tape measure, if the cowl width matches up and you have a nice 66 interior as you seem to be saying, I'd go for it!
I believe Frank S. has said the windshield crosses over from the 64-66, so I'm thinking with some juggling of welded in bracketry you may not have much in the way of problems.
 Both interiors are unique so style is in the eye of the beholder!
I have two 65 Ambassadors here with the dashes out if you need any measurements, let me know.

Oh, I would move the entire driveline as it would beat mix and match and getting some silly little surprise such as the ones that have popped up in with different converters and starter ring gear spacing. It changed somewhere in that era.

Don't forget Tom Jennings and Joe Fulton have a close relationship with those 195.6 OHV engines and may want parts or misc info!

Last thing, I think you are onto something sweet if you do this! I prefer the 64 exterior over the 66 and the 66 dash over the 64! I'd go one step farther though, I'd go with a 65-66 Ambassador dash for the round gauges. Maybe, the flat speedo of the 66 Classic does have apeal to me now that I think about it!
--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: bryan morrow <teamamc@xxxxxxxxxxx>