Re: [Amc-list] whew arcy sparky

Jim Blair wrote:
> Now if you could find some of the Splitfire plugs, I bet you'd fell
> the difference in the seat of the pants! I was surprised when I put
> Splitfire plugs in my '86 Comanche 4 cyl that I got no extra power,
> so I read up on them to find out that the real boost comes running
> them with the wires and a higher output coil.

Yeah, that makes sense! All plugs end up as "split fire" when they're
used long enough! The spark eats the center of the ground electrode
leaving a fork!

But the coil (and switching it eg. dump the points) is the key, but if
the HV leaks off due to crap wires (ahem...) it's a waste, and might
even run worse -- leakage and arcover in my case.

I have a Pertronix epoxy coil higher output than stock, and parts store
blue 6mm wires. Those were fine for two years, but I think they're
drying out or soaking up oil or whatever.

Yeah, after cleaning the coil tower with carb cleaner last night it ran
perfectly again. The hint was, I could HEAR the arcover, but could not
see it until night. It was 3/8" wide, and a dull purple glow. Not a thin
sharp  spark track like I was looking for.

There is some corona around the plugs in their recesses, so the wires
have gone crap. I sprayed them, will last long enough for the new set to
come in.