Re: [AMC-list] Fwd: 1958

I forgot you'd said your manual trans cars had the volcano too, sorry! Will have to make a note of that! But there's still a problem here -- my 61 American had a flat crank with manual trans. They must have started using the flat crank earlier in the American line. I know for sure the engine or crank was never changed, it belonged to a furniture company who kept a great service log book. That 61 was the earliest Rambler I've actually had my hands on enough to know. I've had 61/62/63 Americans, only the 63 was auto, but all had flat cranks. Never had a pre 63 Classic/Ambo or had one apart. Even if the later model flywheel fits, there is a problem with the volcano. The input shaft has to be shorter on the early model T-96. Well, I take that back -- the hole in the volcano might just be deeper and big enough to fit the end of the T-96 input shaft, or possibly the bell is deeper on earlier sixes with volcano cranks (typically the six bells are 6.5" deep).
-----------
Date: 1 May 2009 01:55:52 -0000
From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx

ok frank, i thought we went over this last nov when i pulled caspers motor. 62
and earlier all got the volcano crank. the manuals use it to center the
flywheel. i beleive the flywheel will work on a later crank also. i have the
parts in the shop will be out there shortly to veryfy as parts are sitting
readily availible. 63+ cranks are flat. 63+ flexplate will NOT work on a 62-
crank. i am not sure about the later flywheel working on the early crank.
either way, dont matter to him. all he needs is a crank to work with his
flywheel. i will verify if the early flywheel will work with the later crank
or not.
--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts