From: Todd Ruel <todd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:06
Subject: The Airflyte font
To: tomj@xxxxxxx

Tom,

Hi, I'm Todd Ruel, the guy who created and sells the Airflyte font for 1940s
and 1950s Nash fans.

I wanted to share a little bit of information with you about Magneto Bold, a
lookalike retro font that you display on your AMC Typeface web page.

Believe it or not, Magneto Bold is based on the Kelvinator font.  I read a
story about it once in which the font designer said that she based it vary
closely on the type she saw in Kelvinator refrigerators and in product
literature of the time.  Since Kelvinators were made by Nash/AMC, it makes
sense that a lot of AMC folks use Magneto Bold in flyers, business cards,
etc.

However, Magneto Bold is not the Airflyte font.  You're right.  Airflyte is
heavier, but it's quite authentic to the hand-lettered logo that Nash was
using from about 1948 to about 1960.  I used as many glyphs as I could find
to help me construct the font.  In most cases, there weren't any (lower case
Z anyone?).  In some cases, there were two.  Since the font was hand
lettered, different artists rendered the capital H differently.  The H in
"Hydramatic" could be different from the H in "Nash-Healey."  Nevertheless,
all the letters have the same thickness.

I always tell customers to use the Airflyte font as a display face only.
 (Headlines, Inscriptions, etc.)  It's quite unreadable as body copy.

I'm sure that's way more than you cared to know, but I couldn't help myself.

Keep on ramblin'!

Todd Ruel
Chief Torq-O-Lectual,
Torq-O:  Orphan Car News and Fun Products
email:  todd@xxxxxxxxxx
(937) 271-4172

--
All of your arguments are invalid.