Re: [AMC-list] What if and What Was AMC engine specs-Frank

Re: [AMC-list] What if and What Was AMC engine specs-Frank

The 4, or not having an in house one in the '70's was pivotal to AMC's
eventual fate. Don't want to wander off, in this discussion, about chicken
and egg effects based upon decisions at various points in AMC's historical
timeline.

   Both the flat six you touched on and the valved rotary are interest
piquers. The valves would likely address the port design conundrum that
chases rotary designs to this day, peripheral vs side- or a combination of
the two- once again not wishing to arc off into a related  discussion
separate from the central thrust here.

  The flat six would certainly have one-upped Subaru at the time as well as
been a leap forward in engine packaging. AMC's were already wide enough (
assuming a normal  mounting direction for the engine ) - the advantage would
be in engine compartment requirements for length as well as hood height and
cowl height allowance. Smoothness would evidently handily eclipse even the
straight six's legendary primary balance smoothness.

My guess, though, is the flat six was being considered for military and
public transportation needs.

Steve

"There were quite a few experimental AMC engines back in Romney's days.
One was the air cooled V-4 that made it into the Mighty Mite air
transportable mini Jeep. Another that came a bit later (early 70s) was a
weird Wankel rotary type engine that used valves instead of piston ports
in an attempt to clean it up and make it more efficient. I've got an
article somewhere that shows a few other engines, I think one was a flat
six. Romney is on the front page with some engines in the background.
Doesn't say a whole lot about the engines though.

I think AMC could have had a four (and/or compact V-6) ready by the mid
70s if Abernethy hadn't spent all the profits from the early 60s trying
to make the cars more upscale so they could make more per car. They were
certainly in the engineering department as prototypes. I can see not
being overly concerned about the V-6, but a four should have been a no
brainer. The main problems with Abernethy's marketing idea was that the
main Rambler buyers (rather frugal sorts looking for bang for the buck)
were alienated by the "classier" vehicles (only frugal one was the
American) and that was (still is?) a crowded, highly competitive market
segment. Poor old Abernethey gets blamed for everything, doesn't he?!!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"