Re: [AMC-list] AMC V8 bellhousing patterns - confirmation?

You're more or less correct. The water pump and timing cover are thicker on the V-8, so it's more like 5-7" shorter instead of 8-10". But it takes up a lot more room side to side. For the six get a CJ-5 water pump and pulley. 1/2-3/4" between the fan and radiator is normal for the Americans and Gremlins and Hornets too.

---------------
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 08:04:42 -0600
From: Lynn Howell<lynnhowlyn@xxxxxxx>

Thanks for the confirmation - and other details added by all who
responded.

One more quick question ....

Because I'm struggling with the length of the engine in my specific
situation (e.g. the water pump "nose" is much closer to the radiator
than I'd like .... it's a long story), my sense is that most any of
the AMC V-8's would be 8 to 10 inches shorter than a 258 .... a couple
of approx. 4 inch cylinders and a couple of water jackets shorter.
Does that make sense.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"