Re: [AMC-list] Following up on AMC V8 external dimensions

I never heard that before, but then I haven't been in a position where 3/8" difference (3/16" on each side) would matter. The block deck height didn't change though, has to be a minor difference due to the bigger bores -- same thing on the 258 vs. 4.0L block (4.0L is about 1/8" wider) and the aluminum vs. cast iron 196 OHV (AL head is about 1/4" wider). If the deck height changed it would throw the width of the intake off a bit, and we know the intakes interchange amongst GEN-2 and GEN-3 engines. It could be slightly taller (under 1/8") and the GEN-3 intakes would work -- the GEN-2 and 3 intakes interchange but there is only around 1/16" deck height difference.

----------
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 08:42:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe Fulton<piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Indeed the 390 block is a bit wider than the 360 block at least.? I have a
couple of 360s in my spare room and a 1970 390 in the garage.? The 360s (casting
3195528) are about 18 1/8 inches across the widest dimension.? The 390 block
(casting 3195529) is about 18 1/2 inches across the widest point.?? Can't check
deck height.? Joe Fulton?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"