Re: [AMC-list] Following up on AMC V8 external dimensions

Message: 7
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 08:42:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Following up on AMC V8 external dimensions

Indeed the 390 block is a bit wider than the 360 block at least. I have a
couple of 360s in my spare room and a 1970 390 in the garage.?The 360s
(casting
3195528) are about 18 1/8 inches across the widest dimension. The 390 block
(casting 3195529) is about 18 1/2 inches across the widest point.?? Can't
check
deck height. Joe Fulton"

Which tends to point to the deck height ( centerline of crank to head
mounting surface at top of each block cylinder bank ) as being every bit of
the AMA spec deck height or even greater ( + or - allowance at listed deck
height ). Unless when you are measuring you are measuring the "hammer
points" where the casting has the bunges cast into the block presumably for
removing the block from the casting furnace. It's conceivable that those
bunges themselves, if they are where you measured, are wider on the "big"
engines.
   What points did you measure Joe?

Steve