Re: [AMC-list] Fuel pump question

This page on my site has info on how to test the pump: http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/vacuum_wiper_motor.shtml . I also have several pages showing a fuel pump rebuild starting at http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/fuel_pump_rebuild/index.shtml . My wiper motor and fuel pump are a little different looking from what you but they are basically the same on the inside.

As far as testing goes before you start replacing/rebuilding stuff, also make sure that there isn't a problem with the linkage itself. You'll need to disconnect the wiper linkage from the motor to do this. Once it's disconnected, move the wipers through a full sweep. They should move pretty evenly and smoothly.

Matt

On 5/4/2011 5:53 PM, Ken Ames spouted this sage advice:
The pump by itself, not connected to the intake, should draw about 19" of vacuum.

Ken

Quoting tom jennings<tomj@xxxxxxx>:

yeah, what joe sez. pull the hoses off it, run the engine, stick your finger
over each port. one should suck your finger to it, hard. if neither does
pump is bust. if one does, that goes to the wipers, the other to the
manifold.

unless the hoses are new they are certainly all bad and leaky.