Re: [AMC-list] AMX no shoulder harness

Hi Ken, yes, the quarter sized hole between welds close to window would become the shoulder harness hole. However as you can see here...nothing to put big shoulder harness bolt thru. At least this early production one. Later.....AMC had the shoulder harness hole close to 1/4 glass, and stayed that way into 1969 production, I believe it was pushed farther back sometime in October or November 1968 for the 1969 models.....possibly safety issue or feds told someone to move it back as not enough body strength there near glass. Best way to look at is is pix so here is no hole:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/restoration/68-amx-no-shoulder-harness.JPG

1968 close to glass until moved back in early 1969 production

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/restoration/68-amx-sail-panel-hole.jpg

and for rest of 1969 production thru end of AMX production in 1970 was pushed way back:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/restoration/70_amx_sailpanel.jpg

some used originals:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/restoration/amx_sail_panels.jpg

my reproductions....have no hole punched, 1968 AMX close to glass thru early 69 type and remainder of 69 production thru all 1970 farther back also:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/restoration/68-70_sails.jpg

shameless plug department $18.99 + $12.00 shipping in US, more to Canada hee hee like you didn't see that coming. Yes step right up and get your crabby pattys here.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Ames" <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx> To: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] AMX no shoulder harness

Would one of the holes in the picture eventually be the attachment point for the
harness?

My 68 (#250) has a January 25th engine and it does have the shoulder belt.

Ken

Quoting Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Someone asked me about some of the 1967 built 1968 AMX's with no shoulder
harness in them.
I believe these were all built in 1967, possibly into Jan 1968. Have seen
some early
literature with them in it, but do not know when it was printed, except
before AMX
'officially' introduced in Febuary 1968...however about 60-100 cars built
before intro as
were being used for mules, press cars, demos and drive reports. Anyways there
is a photo
of a 1968 AMX with no shoulder harness strap on my site, have owned 3 or 4 of
these as
1968 is my favorite year:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amx_parts/68-amx-no-shoulder-harness.JPG

this particular car was a Calcutta Russett, a beautiful one year only 1968
color, looks
like candy apple red. Too bad AMC dropped that color.