[AMC-list] A/C Coversions

>You might want to look into "Enviro-Safe" refrigerant though. It's
basically a blend of propane and butane. Propane cools more efficiently
(ever saw a gas grill regulator ice up?) than butane, but won't >carry oil
through the system very efficiently -- butane does. It's roughly a 70/30
blend, but the E-S guys aren't saying! The good thing is it cools a little
better than R-134a in an old system and is fully >compatible with the old
hoses and such. R-134a molecules are smaller than R-12 and will slowly leech
through the hoses, though they should hold enough charge for a couple years.
As far as I recall E-S >works with any oil, but anything made or rebuilt
since around 88-89 has either PAG or Ester oil in it, not mineral oil. I've
used E-S in old R-12 systems and systems made for R-134a -- running it in
the >Rambler AND just put it in my 2002 Ranger a couple weeks ago (a fitting
vibrated loose and blew an O-ring, there goes the R-134a! No, it wasn't
intentional). Never had a problem

> with it. In mid temps (mid 80s through about 100 degrees) it charges at
the same pressure as R-134a and uses the same fittings. At higher temps it
will build a little more pressure, lower temps a >little less. 12 ounces of
E-S = 16 ounces of R-134a, and the E-S is cheaper.

>Some states have outlawed it because it's a flammable gas. DuPont lawyers
at work! Similar products are used extensively in Australia and there have
been no more fires traced to the refrigerant using >a hydrocarbon base
(flammable gas) than with R-134a/R-12. The oil in the system can cause fire
too. In all case there pretty much has to be an open flame to cause ignition
-- the flash point of propane >is a good bit higher than gasoline. Why worry
about 30-40 OUNCES of propane when you have a5-20 GALLONS of highly
flammable liquid gasoline in the car?? The propane IS compressed, but it's
not >explosive. If there is an engine fire and a hose ruptures the propane
burns like a torch, but only for a few seconds, and there has to be a fire
already for that to happen, so there's really no additional >worry. It's
safe, and it can't hurt the environment.

>Since it's a refrigerant it's still technically illegal to mix it with
other refrigerants or to vent it to the atmosphere. Doesn't matter that it
does no harm. Just so you know...

Absolutely true Frank!!

Here in SC it's illegal for a garage to install it but NOT for individuals
to do it themselves. I have been using HC12a because a friend of mine was a
dealer and was getting a good price on it. I bought several cases of it
years ago and still have some left. It's drop in compatible with R12 so if
you have a "slow leaker" that just takes a can a year your FAR better off to
just keep adding HC12 than doing expensive repairs.  I've done that with
several cars and the AC ended up outlasting the car!!

The stuff smells BAD so you'd know right away if you had a leak into the
passenger compartment.

They also make an R22 product which is used in home AC units. My in-laws
used to live next door to us. Their AC unit started freezing up and a check
showed it low on Freon. My dealer friend had some of the big canisters (like
propane grill size) of HC22 so I borrowed one and added it to their unit
until the freezing stopped. He weighed the can before & after just charging
me for what I used. I did this for YEARS until they sold the house. Never
had a problem.

Being hydrocarbon based it's essentially "self-lubricating" so no need to
worry about oil. On the systems I repaired I lost a good bit of the oil,
never added any back, just charged up with HC12 and let er go. Never had a
problem.

But HEY,,,, that's just ME!!

Bruce Hevner