[AMC-list] weekend work on the white Javelin.

[AMC-list] weekend work on the white Javelin.

All the car shows yesterday were too far away, this morning it rained again and I really didn't wanne run to the show in Storm Lake, IA through rain, so yesterday I finally got after all the built up crust and corrosion on the rear axle from the white Javelin. Final treatment before two coats of epoxy primer was a last cleanup with the abrasive blaster.

Remember I swapped axles with the green Javelin so I could drive the white one and rebuild the
axle out of it at my leisure.

After it stopped raining today, about 1:00 pm, I began applying black to the axle. I mixed about two thirds flat and one third gloss hoping to get a satin look. I used Rustoleum oil based enamel with a catalyst known as Majic. Got it at the local Farm Fleet store. The paint itself was free from the County recycling center. I haven't bought much paint at all lately, I pick it up there. I've even found some very expensive paints, reducers, and all sorts of other valuable things.

Now I'm watching paint dry, the catalyst is supposed to speed up the dry time, and make the finish harder. I know I'm gonna be waiting about 7 days or so before I can do anything else with the axle, and then I'll need to be really careful not to damage the fresh paint. I'm to completely rebuild the axle .

I got all the parts and pieces earlier. For a week or so while the paint gets hard, I can work on getting bearings on the axles, on the carrier, rebuild the twin grip. refresh my memory on the assembly procedure, go over the Wilwood disc kit install directions, etcetera. I need to find some fittings to connect the brake lines to the calipers, I made new lines for it, so I'm not real convinced I want to use anythig from brass up byt the calipers. I'll be looking for something better. I may try to find something in the stainless steel hose dept. The only brass part will be the original tee that's bolted to the axle. I may draw file it and seal it in clear to make it look better.

more as it develops,

Armand