Re: [AMC-list] 70/71 6cyl wanted

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Ya know, I forgot about all the 71 blocks having the taller deck!
" Easy to make a 258 -- just change crank and rods...  maybe
" pistons.  258s are reasonably easy to find and cheap yet --
" contact the local Jeepers, can probably pick a rebuilder up for
" little or nothing.

pistons are the same as 232; that's why the stroke isn't 1/2" longer
on 1/4" shorter rods.  the 232 runs zero deck but the 258 is about
-0.050"

" The T-96 is indeed a bit fragile behind a 232.  AMC used the T-96J
" behind the 232 in Grems (maybe Hornets) in the early 70s.  The J
" has a slightly larger input bearings and shaft.  I used a rebuilt
" J behind a 4.0L and my 4.6L stroker for about 18 months.  Syncho
" will be the first casualty -- mine lasted maybe 150 miles and I
" was taking it easy.  After that it was double-clutch to down
" shift, but it soldiered on for a bit over a year.  The 232/258
" won't have quite the power of the 4.0L, but then you have the
" standard version of the T-96.  You might get a little more life
" from the synchro though.
"
" The T-89 uses the T-10 bolt pattern and won't fit the six bell.
" I'm not sure what the T-86 used, but I don't think it matches the
" T-96 pattern.

it doesn't; it's another almost-square pattern, that shares the top 2
bolts with the t89/t10.  '67-'74 v8 bells have these patterns, and fit
'72-up i6 blocks...

" The input shaft on the V-8s is longer also.  Either
" a T-85 or 86 was a HD option for the 196,

watch out here!  the t85 was a relative of the t89; the t86 had a
lighter-duty sibling, the t90.

" so the trans pattern
" might be the same, but the six would either need a special bell
" and shorter torque tube or a shorter input shaft (and maybe bell
" if the trans pattern is different).  I would suspect AMC used a
" different input shaft (and maybe bell) rather than different TT.

i know there was a different 'hd' bell for late-'60s i6s.  i've always
thought the trannies were the stock t86 or t15 v8 offering.

they might be shorter than the t96, so even with deeper bell could fit
the same overall length...
--
irrelevant trivia: in '68, the t89 was replaced by the t15, which had
the t86 bolt pattern and was widely used in jeeps up to '75.  the t96