Re: [AMC-list] High Flow Exhaust Manifolds

It also allows for misaligned holes from the factory, unlike the later 4 cyls. A LOT of Jeepers have trouble getting the back one started (I put in a threaded stud and STILL had trouble with the rest!)
   I do recall some years having 2 different size bolts though

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] High Flow Exhaust Manifolds

" From: lunde@xxxxxxxxxx
"
" I have a pair of high flow AMC exhaust manifolds casting#'s 3210160 and
" 3210159. I plan to put these on my 68 AMX 390 which already has a pair of
" later model dog-leg heads, and was wondering why the mounting holes on the
" manifold are a larger diameter on the outside of the manifold, then the 2
" bolt holes on the inside given that all the bolts on the cylinder head are
" the same diameter? Does anyone know why this is? Seems funny to me that only
" the center holes are responsible for lining up the ports on the head to the
" manifold!

wild guess - maybe it's to allow for expansion when that iron gets red
hot.
Andrew Hay the genius nature
internet rambler is to see what all have seen
adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and think what none thought