Re: [AMC-list] High Flow Exhaust Manifolds (Sandwich Maker)

Re: [AMC-list] High Flow Exhaust Manifolds (Sandwich Maker)

" From: John Lunde <lunde@xxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Could be for expansion, but why then is there no allowance for expansion in the 2 inner bolt holes?

not enough expansion across the distance between center holes.  much
more across whole length.

" I guess I'm just used to headers and not aware of this.

headers aren't as rigid and stiff as cast iron manifolds.  and while
the tubes get hot, they don't conduct as much heat to the flange as an
iron manifold does.

there are engines where the exhaust manifold -must-not- be installed
with a gasket, as conducting its heat into the head's water jacket is
intentional and necessary.

" Does anyone else have an opinion as I would gladly listen to all theories!?!?
"
" Thanks,
"
" John
" *******************
" wild guess - maybe it's to allow for expansion when that iron gets red
" hot.
" *******************
"
" " From: lunde@xxxxxxxxxx(original message)
" "
" " I have a pair of high flow AMC exhaust manifolds casting#'s 3210160 and
" " 3210159. I plan to put these on my 68 AMX 390 which already has a pair of
" " later model dog-leg heads, and was wondering why the mounting holes on the
" " manifold are a larger diameter on the outside of the manifold, then the 2
" " bolt holes on the inside given that all the bolts on the cylinder head are
" " the same diameter? Does anyone know why this is? Seems funny to me that only
" " the center holes are responsible for lining up the ports on the head to the
" " manifold!