[AMC-list] 1981 Spirit 6 cyl air intake trap door vacuum motor *replaced

[AMC-list] 1981 Spirit 6 cyl air intake trap door vacuum motor *replaced/fixed*

I've a working trap door vacuum motor.  This is not a used replacement,
but a new/rebuilt vacuum motor with a new diaphragm.

The car is a 1981 AMC Spirit 6 cyl.  The trap door is in the air path
into the air cleaner.  With the engine off this trapdoor is closed
and it prevents gasoline vapors from escaping via the air intake. The
trapdoor actuator is operated at each engine start for as long as the
engine is running.

I found that the vacuum motor didn't hold vacuum (leaked) and didn't
move.  Opening it revealed that the diaphragm has a hole.  Attempts
to patch the hole didn't work.

The real AMC part is unavailable new.  Used parts might not have
that much life in them...

I ordered several vacuum motors from Rockauto which looked similar
with the hope that one would work.

  more information and pictures:

    http://amcgqr.comyr.com/
    http://amcgqr.comyr.com/trapdoor.html
    http://amcgqr.comyr.com/trapdoor2.html

The order included the VA8 from carquest engine controls which was close
but required too much vacuum to pull in as well as not being aligned to
match the AMC.  I disassembled the VA8 and reassembled it with the old
AMC vacuum motor spring and aligned it to the AMC pattern.  It's now
installed and working...

My thanks to the people on the list for suggestions and encouragement.