Re: [AMC-list] Smoking head on my 232 engine

The smoke is definitely coming from inside the head from around the oil cap and valve cover breather. I took the oil cap off and it looked like a mini fire place. I also made sure the PCV valve had vacuum on it.

--- piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,  Rambler Nash Jeep and familyAMC <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Smoking head on my 232 engine
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:48:22 -0700 (PDT)

It could be a timing issue or it could be something else.  Late timing could make the manifold get hotter than it would otherwise and cause some oily residue to burn off.   I would check for anything, like wiring or hoses that may have been placed against a hot part of the engine.  I don't know if the Duraspark modules are susceptible to overheating, but that is one reported weak point of the Prestolite module.  You said the car had been sitting so oil could have leaked onto the manifold or rodents could have displaced or chewed a wire.

If you can't find anything laying against a hot surface I'd make sure the timing is OK.

Pull the number one spark plug (front plug) and place a long screwdriver into the spark plug hole to feel for the piston top.  When the piston is at the top on the compression stroke, the timing mark on the balancer should be at TDC.  If it is way off, the outer ring on your balancer may have slipped.   If it is correct, note the location of your number one plug wire on the distributor cap.  Now remove the cap and see if the distributor rotor is at or approaching that location.  If everything is satisfactory, you know that the mechanically the engine is in time.

Joe