Re: [AMC-list] Mileage with AMC/Jeep 4 Cyl 2.5 EFI or 4.0 in an 80's AMC

Re: [AMC-list] Mileage with AMC/Jeep 4 Cyl 2.5 EFI or 4.0 in an 80's AMC

" From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" So I am looking at a getting a 2nd vehicle for my son to commute in.  He
" LOVES his 87 Chero 2 door (4.0 Auto) but he has to drive a lot of miles
" []

just a note - the xj made consumer reports' list of the 10 most
durable cars in america.  cr is rather mindless about many things, but
they do statistics well.

[they also compiled an ore-to-landfill total lifecycle cost for a
bunch of popular cars.  the gen-1 scion xb led the way; the toyota
prius was twice the cost, equal to a hummer h2.]

" I really like the idea of an AMC econo car the way AMC might have done
" it and found a 2WD Comanche 2.5/4 speed wrecked.  Has anyone ever
" swapped an AMC 4 Cyl with the EFI into a RWD AMC Car?  What kind of
" mileage did you get?

the factory did it in '83, not efi though, but you might get an idea
comparing carb-to-efi mileage in the xj.

the epa mileage rating of the 4-cyl xj was only 1 mpg better than the
6.  otoh i do better on the highway than the epa and i've heard
several similar anecdotes.

a thought - maybe you should swap that xj 4 into his xj?