Re: [AMC-list] Mileage with AMC/Jeep 4 Cyl 2.5 EFI or 4.0 in an 80's AMC

Re: [AMC-list] Mileage with AMC/Jeep 4 Cyl 2.5 EFI or 4.0 in an 80's AMC

" From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" That's good to know!  I imagine the numbers in a Spirit might be even
" better as they are a tad lighter and more aerodynamic.

lighter?  2dr '64-9 americans scale 2600-2800 lbs.  official weight on
my '66 was 2625.

aero i can believe, and that matters above about 50.  and for sure the
xj has the aero of a brick.

" Then again, if a 4.0 could get 30, I wonder if an EFi'd 2.5 could get
" closer to 36 or even 40?  I know there is a point of diminishing
" returns when a lack of power can translate into worse mileage for a
" smaller engine, but as light as the Spirits are (and they can be made
" lighter) It seems that like that would not be an issue.

imho you'd have to play with cam and gearing to get the big gains, and
i don't think you'd ever see 40.

otoh if your son drives like a nut [many around here seem to treat the
pedals as switches - full on the 'gas switch' or full on the 'brake
switch' - esp. with abs] then less power in anything will return better
mileage.