Re: [AMC-list] Seat belts for 1971 gremlin

Re: [AMC-list] Seat belts for 1971 gremlin

" Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:25:41 -0400
" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 15:14:39 -0400
" From: Bill Ryan<williamryan910@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I need a little help on my 71gremlin did it come with lap belts only I want to install a three point belts do I have to be creative thanks bill Ryan
"
" ---------------------------------
"
" Bill, the 71 may have had optional shoulder belts. If it did the anchor points for shoulder belts are in the B pillar (door latch post). If not, you will need to do some work. These work well:
" http://www.julianos.com/retract_3point.html
" Take a look at their video in the how-to section. It's for a street rod, but you will have to do something similar -- unless the 71 Gremlin already has a "hard point" to mount a shoulder belt.
" Install in 70 Mustang with upper mounting points:
" http://www.julianos.com/how2_3pt_mustang.html
" Install in a VW Bug (no upper mounting points, probably closest to the Gremlin)
" http://www.julianos.com/how2_vw3point.html

iirc shoulder belts were required starting in '68.  they may still be
separate in '71, but their anchor points will definitely be there and
they should be too.

as i posted, i replaced shoulder and lap belts in my american with
3-pointers.  they bolted right in, and with 'airplane' latches look
stock.