Re: [AMC-list] engine paint colors

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:43:10 -0500
From:holzerhomerepair@xxxxxxxxx

In 66 american v-8 290 what color what the paint used on engine
in 67 what was the engine paint color 1 yr was gold only what yr was it is there any lit info stating correct color between the 2 yrs
Don Holzer

Don, 1966 290 was Copper (Ditzler 22867). The 67 290 was Gold (Ditzler 22866). Now those paint numbers are the original Dulux Enamel codes, no one may be able to find them. You wouldn't want that type paint, but hopefully someone can still cross-ref the codes to something newer. Oh, all 68 engines were Caravelle Blue, 69-72 Blue Poly Metallic, and 73-83 AMC Engine Blue.

A good single stage enamel will be fine -- clean block thoroughly then prime with a good primer. No need for special "high heat" paint. I' panted blocks and heads with that and plain old spray-can enamel with about the same results. Any of it will burn near the exhaust ports (about 1/4-1/2" back), the rest stays on as long as the surface was thoroughly cleaned and primed.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine