Re: [AMC-list] 6 cyl & v-8 bell housing bolt patterns

Re: [AMC-list] 6 cyl & v-8 bell housing bolt patterns

" From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Up till 1971 the 6 cyl pattern was the just it's own shape. '72 up 6
" bell matches Gen II (290, 343 and 390) and Gen III AMC V8 pattern so
" it won't bolt to the early bell. 199 and early 232 (starter on the
" left) plus '71 only 258 will bolt to the 196 bell. 290 won't (in case
" Andrew wasn't clear. ;) )

that's right.  i didn't want to inundate mike with a tsunami of trivia
until i saw which way he wanted to jump.

the full-synchro t14 was used from '68 to about '75 with 2bbl 290s and
304s as well as sixes, so that bell would work.  '71-older sixes have
an extremely limited tranny choice; the t14 and older t96, with the
same spline and pattern, are it.

i've had several americans.  all had 199s; i never felt they needed
more.  the last had a t14 too and was a pleasant car in suburban
traffic.

" From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
"
" " From: Mike Quam <sonic05gt@xxxxxxxxx>
" "
" "
" " I'm new to the AMC world I have a 1965 American with a bad 196 /6 cyl
" " if I repower with a v-8 will my 6 cyl trans bolt to it thanks
"
" i'm assuming stick.
"
" with luck and an early '70s 6 cyl bell, yes - but you wouldn't want to
" -- the tranny isn't very much stronger than the 6 and would be easy to
" grenade behind a v8.  a 3sp for the v8 could be hooked to your column
" linkage, or you could cut the floor for a shifter.
"
" " also does anyone have a 196 or a 290 for sale?
"
" the '65 was also offered with a 232 so any later amc 6 is an easy job.
" gotta use the '65 american water pump and pulley, also found on
" wagoneers and cjs pre about '75.  there are other details of course.
"
" for a 6 with more power than the 290, swap a jeep 4.0 and get mileage
" too, but now you're talking tranny swap again...  pre-'00 still have
" the old motor mounts but around then they dropped them.  avoid the
" oddball cherokee fan setup.