Re: [AMC-list] 6 cyl & v-8 bell housing bolt patterns

Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 15:44:23 -0500
From: Mike Quam <sonic05gt@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm new to the AMC world I have a 1965 American with a bad 196 /6 cyl if I
repower
with a v-8 will my 6 cyl trans bolt to it thanks also does anyone have a
196 or a
290 for sale?

Mike, it is possible by mixing components, but it's already been pointed
out that the transmission wouldn't last long -- just a few hundred miles
(I know that by trying once!!).

The short answer is no. AMC changed the bell housing pattern on the six to
match the V-8 in 1972. A 232 was offered in the 65 American. With a CJ-5
232 water pump and pulley (NOT a CJ-7 -- CJ-5 is a couple inches shorter
in the engine compartment) you can mount a 72 or later 232/258 with
transmission (will have to alter the driveshaft) in your car. Or a 290 or
other 67+ AMC V-8 (even a 401, but 360s are easiest to find). Change the
trans also. You can use your rear axle for a while -- it will hold up fine
with street tires that fit the stock wheel wells. Finding a good 196 is
tough, but they are out there.

You might want to go to www.theamcforum.com and sign up. Lots there have
done the swap.