[AMC-list] I6 Engines.... Why did the starter move around?

[AMC-list] I6 Engines.... Why did the starter move around?

Does anyone know why on some 232/258 the start is on the driver's side and on others it's on the passenger side?  Some are GM and some are Ford.  What's the deal?

(I know that on the I6s the starter is attached to the bell-housing and dust plate and not the engine)